Job Title: Program Manager, Legal Resources and Outreach
Department: Legal Department
Function: Manage Syms Legal Momentum Gender Equality Helpline and Rights Now! program
Reports to: Deputy Legal Director
Salary range: $49,000 – 55,000
Legal Momentum, originally founded as the NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund, is the country’s first and longest serving legal advocacy organization advancing gender equality. For the past five decades, we have employed three main strategies—high-impact litigation, educational initiatives, and policy advocacy—to strengthen gender equality under the law and in our society. Our areas of focus include gender-based violence, workplace equality, educational opportunity, and fairness in the courts. Recognizing that our vision has always been inextricably linked to the work of many other justice movements, we are committed to an intersectional approach to gender equality that advances racial equality and is inclusive of all gender identities.
Legal Momentum is hiring a Program Manager to join our team based in New York to implement two of our programs: the Syms Legal Momentum Gender Equality Helpline and the Rights Now! program. The Syms Legal Momentum Gender Equality Helpline receives inquiries nationwide on issues related to gender inequality, sex discrimination and gender-based violence. The Program Manager will work with the Legal Team to respond to requests that come in through the Helpline and to coordinate pro bono legal assistance, legal information and referrals. Legal Momentum’s Rights Now! Policy Fellow recruits and trains a cohort of young people to facilitate empowerment-based, activity-based, and dialogue focused workshops with their peers. Using Legal Momentum’s interactive curriculum, the Rights Now! Policy Fellow and Peer Educators work together to empower other young women to tackle and unpack topics impacting their day-to-day lives, such as: power, privilege, and oppression; cyber abuse; healthy relationships and teen dating violence; relationship violence in the school setting; and legal rights and remedies. The Program Manager would lead all aspects of this program. Currently, Legal Momentum staff are working on a hybrid remote/in-office schedule.
Helpline responsibilities include:
- Oversee intake and referral functions, and ensure prompt and appropriate responses to calls and e-mails received from the public seeking legal and other services;
- Post materials on LM website in conjunction with Communications Department; post and maintain referral resources on website; collect and analyze feedback from public;
- Assist in screening potential legal clients – including initial intakes – and coordinate LM attorney response;
- Maintain up-to-date national list of referral resources
Rights Now! responsibilities include:
- Build upon existing curricula to create workshops for girls and young women ages 11-24 on a variety of topics including gender oppression and discrimination; health relationships and teen dating violence; social media and cyber sexual abuse; and identifying legal rights;
- Work with schools and community-based organizations to organize and plan workshops;
- Recruit and train a diverse cohort of peer educators and accompany them to all workshops;
- Use coalition building, media, and grass-roots advocacy to help spread rights awareness to girls and young women in New York;
Other responsibilities may include:
- Conducting outreach via coalitions, grassroots and community partners, and media to disseminate Legal Momentum’s resources and information;
- Post materials on Legal Momentum’s website and/or social media outlets in conjunction with the Communications Department.
Legal Momentum is seeking a detail-oriented, organized, creative and administratively savvy problem-solver who has the following qualities:
- Two (2) to four (4) years working to advance access to justice and civil liberties or relevant graduate experience in a related field;
- Experience working with victims of discrimination and violence, including physical and sexual abuse, and sensitivity to the particular needs of these individuals;
- Ability to listen thoughtfully and respond calmly to callers in crisis;
- Ability to prioritize and simultaneously accomplish a multitude of tasks with minimal supervision;
- Excellent plain language writer; and grammar and proofreading skills;
- Connection to and/or close ties with community organizations and national legal groups;
- Passionate about creating social change and ensuring justice for all;
- Candidates with proficiency in Spanish strongly preferred.
Legal Momentum is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, or sexual orientation.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter describing your qualifications and interest for the position, resume, three references and a brief writing sample to email@example.com, ATTN: program manager vacancy.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. This position remains open until filled.