CA State Senator
Reelected to represent the 20th State Senate District in 2018, Senator Connie M. Leyva is serving her second term in the California State Senate. The district includes the cities and communities of Bloomington, Chino, Colton, Fontana, Grand Terrace, Montclair, Muscoy, Ontario, Pomona, Rialto and San Bernardino. Currently serving as Chair of the bipartisan and bicameral California Legislative Women’s Caucus and Commissioner on the California Commission on the Status of Women and Girls, Senator Leyva continues to be a committed leader on improving the lives of women, children and families in California.
Since being elected to the State Senate, Senator Leyva authored 38 bills signed into law, including important legislation to:
- Require all public universities to provide medication abortion by 2023 (SB 24)
- Eliminate the statute of limitations on rape (SB 813)
- Require the prompt testing of rape kits (SB 22)
- Criminalize sextortion and protect minors and young women (SB 500)
- Ban secret settlements in sexual harassment, assault and discrimination cases (SB 820)
- Protect human trafficking victims (SB 597)
- Permanently extend overtime for domestic workers (SB 1015)
- Eliminate use of political funds to fight assault and harassment claims (SB 71)
As a Women’s Caucus leader, Senator Leyva has worked collaboratively with other Caucus members to expand access to childcare, help secure important funding for after school programs, protect victims of domestic violence, end childhood deep poverty, require women on corporate boards and many other woman and family oriented efforts.