FAIR ADJUDICATION OF SEXUAL ASSAULT CASES
- In sexual assault cases, deeply held stereotypes and misconceptions can undermine fairness in the court systems, especially where the victim and perpetrator know each other, which is true in the vast majority of cases.
- Justice system professionals need factual information about the nuances of sexual assault to ensure that these cases are handled fairly. To provide this insight, NJEP has created educational resources based on well-documented, factual analysis of the issue. These resources are designed to help members of the justice system develop techniques to minimize victim re-traumatization while safeguarding the rights of the defendant.
- NJEP also provides ongoing training for justice system professionals. Groups and individuals who use our training range from judges to prosecutors to victim outreach coordinators.
SEXUAL ASSAULT EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES
- Adjudicating Allegations of Child Sexual Abuse When Custody is in Dispute
- Interpreters in Adult Victim Sexual Assault Cases
- Jury Selection and Decision Making in Adult Victim Sexual Assault Cases
- Raped or “Seduced?” How Language Helps Shape Our Response to Sexual Violence
- The Challenges of Adult Victim Sexual Assault Cases: Materials For New Judges
- Understanding Sexual Violence: The Judge’s Role in Stranger and Nonstranger Rape and Sexual Assault Cases
- Understanding Sexual Violence: Prosecuting Adult Rape and Sexual Assault Cases
- When Bias Compounds: Insuring Equal Justice for Women of Color in the Courts
- Women in Drug Treatment Courts: Sexual Assault as the Underlying Trauma
Aspects of the model curricula:
- NJEP’s curriculum is available at no charge for a variety of uses: it can be utilized as the basis for in-person trainings and webinars or reviewed by individuals online.
- The curriculum consists of:
- A faculty manual for teachers
- A Power Point presentation with suggested commentary
- Exercises for participants
- Handouts for participants
- The curriculum can be adapted to local laws and practices
NJEP’s Web Course provides current interdisciplinary research from law, medicine and the social sciences that is applicable to judicial decision-making and case management. The site can be treated as a course or as a resource to be consulted as needed.
NJEP’s DVDs can be used in conjunction with other training modules, or shown on their own.