Legal Momentum was founded as the NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund in 1970. We are the oldest national women's rights legal advocacy organization, with a rich history in litigation and public policy development. We have worked to enact, expand, and enforce many of the most important laws and policies that affect women, including employment rights under Title VII, employment discrimination against women with criminal records, educational equity under Title IX, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, the Violence Against Women Act, and human trafficking.
Legal Momentum has unpaid internships or internships for school credit available for the academic year. Summer internship positions are also available. The positions are based in New York City.
General Internship Description:
Legal Momentum provides its legal interns with experience in all aspects of advocacy. Legal Momentum interns:
- Conduct research;
- Draft legal memoranda and briefs;
- Prepare Congressional testimony;
- Draft model legislation;
- Interview clients;
- Screen potential cases for Legal Momentum, and
- Draft informational pamphlets on legal topics.
Legal internship positions are unpaid. All intern applicants are required to secure financial support from their school for summer internships. students may also be enrolled in a course which awards academic credit for the internship. Interns are expected to work with us during the term no less than 15 hours per week. Summer interns are expected to work with us for at least 35 hours per week for 10 weeks.
How To Apply:
Application deadlines are:
- December 31 for second-year students
- January 31 for first-year students
Term Time Students
- August 15 for the fall semester
- November 30 for the spring semester
Early applications are strongly encouraged and preference is given to early applications. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
- Please provide a cover letter, resume and legal writing sample, and the names of three references (at least one from a current professor.
- Send by email to: JAfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include an "Internship for Credit Eligibility Letter" or a "Guaranteed Funding for Public Service Internship/Work Study."
- Potential internship candidates will be interviewed either in person or by phone.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. First-year students who have not produced a finished piece of legal writing by the application date may send a sample of their non-legal writing and a target date for the submission of a piece of legal writing.
Legal Momentum is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Updated December 17, 2015