Legal Momentum is hiring a Program Associate to work within the Legal Department and National Judicial Education Program (NJEP). The Program Associate will ensure that legal and NJEP programmatic goals are met; provide administrative support to legal and NJEP directors and staff; administer grant funding and drawdown reporting from various sources; and contribute substantively to completion of projects which further LM and NJEP’s missions and goals. The ideal candidate will have a deep, demonstrated commitment to the advancement and protection of women’s rights and to a fair justice system, and an understanding of non-profit organizations. The candidate will be motivated and dedicated, with the ability to work well both independently and collaboratively in a high-paced environment. The position is based in our New York City office—currently we are working on a hybrid remote/in-office schedule.
Legal Momentum, originally founded as the NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund, is the country's first and longest serving legal advocacy organization advocating for equality for women. With five decades of experience safeguarding the rights of women through landmark legislation, innovative educational initiatives, and high-impact litigation, we maintain an unwavering commitment to gender equality. Our work has always been inextricably linked to the work of many other justice movements. We know, for example, that gender equality will not be achieved without racial justice and we are committed to an intersectional approach to our work. Moreover, we know that gender-based stereotypes harm all of us, and we are committed to a view of gender equality that is inclusive of all gender identities. Our work employs three main strategies—litigation, education, and policy advocacy to defend and advance gender equality for women under the law. Our expertise addressing gender-based violence, workplace equality, educational opportunity, and fairness in the courts makes us a leading agent of change in the ongoing pursuit of gender equality in the courts and in our society. For further information about our work, please see www.legalmomentum.org.
● Support day-to-day operations for the Legal Department/NJEP
● Assist in developing, researching, formatting and publication of new resources and the maintenance and updating of existing resources in both digital and hardcopy. Maintain Legal Dept/NJEP records and archives including case dockets, subject matter files and library
● Manage administrative duties associated with grant funding, including programmatic reporting and financial obligations. Provide support for grant applications. Draft activity/progress reports for board of directors, funders and others
● Support staff requests for Internet and Lexis research
● Collaborate with Communications and Development departments to develop and distribute external communications about legal programs. Contribute to the organization’s social media activity. Respond to requests for information from the public about Legal Momentum’s work and resources.
● Coordinate all intern-related activities
● Foster relationships with and respond to requests from cooperating organizations.
● Other tasks as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree or higher and at least two years’ work experience
● Ability to prioritize and simultaneously accomplish a multitude of diverse tasks with minimal supervision
● Ability to interact appropriately with Director, Deputy Director, staff, and interns, taking direction, coordinating and supervising as necessary
● Ability to meet deadlines and flexibility to work hours necessary to meet such demands
● Extensive knowledge of computers, including high proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and internet navigation
● Meticulous attention to detail
● Excellent writing, grammar and proofreading skills and ability to follow legal citation form with precision
● Excellent oral communication and listening skills
● Proficiency in internet research and familiarity with Lexis/Westlaw legal research
● Proven office and interpersonal skills
● Demonstrated knowledge of and dedication to women’s rights issues and public interest organizations
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample, and three references by mail or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org ATTN: Program Associate Vacancy